The tenth Ecocity World Summit took place in Nantes, France, from September 25th to 27th, 2013. Nantes was also chosen as the European Green Capital for 2013.
Host: Nantés Metropole and La Cité
Venue: La Cité Nantes Event Center
Coordinators: Ronan Dantec, Senator of Loire Anlantique; Julien Dossier; Alaine Retiére.
Theme: Accelerate change
Ecocity, the World Summit on Sustainable Cities, was held from 25 to 27 September 2013. It was followed by the Summit of the Mexico City Pact Signatories on Saturday, September 28th.
The Summit was constituted by the following meetings and exchanges:
- Plenary sessions,
- Keynote session
- Theatre-style room
- Round tables
- Vico demonstration
- Global village
- Solutions exhibition and B to B meeting
The programme was divided into Five main themes of the sustainable city
- Reducing the ecological footprint : water, air, soil, waste, biodiversity,
- Addressing the energy challenges of the city: how to decarbonize, reduce consumption and manage the transition,
- Strengthening solidarity: solidarity among cities, neighbourhoods and individuals,
- Organizing the sustainable city: mobility, urban development, decision-making and planning,
- Mobilizing enabling factors: a prerequisite for transition in a social, political, cultural and economic context.
These were furthere explored through the Four challenges to change:
Guests of honour and world authorities in the field of urban sustainability included politicians, mayors of large cities, researchers and associative players: Janez Potočnik, Rob Hopkins, Jean Jouzel, Patrick Viveret, Cécile Duflot, Joan Clos, David Cadman, Tristram Stuart, Josep Roig, Anna Somers Cocks OBE, FSA…
The programme’s session five keynote conferences were:
- Phoenix cities: how to manage the transition?
- The sustainable city economic model
- Cities and global environmental governance
- Soil, endangered common good
- Ecocity Builders Conference